miércoles, 27 de marzo de 2013

Música: Matt Wertz ...Collection




In anticipation of Matt Wertz's upcoming release, Wherever / Whenever EP, on April 1, 2013, Matt Wertz is giving away a collection of his personal favorite songs from his celebrated 13 year career.

**All tips go to Mocha Club**

Whenever You Love Somebody, from Whenever/Wherever, April 1, 2013
When I set out to start writing this new album, I kept finding myself drawn to the singer-songwriters from the late 80’s; Richard Marx, Bryan Adams, Kenny Loggins, etc. In an attempt to channel their genius, I bought a chorus guitar pedal, broke out my Fender Stratocaster and started programming drum grooves to write to. I love this song because it really nails the whole 80‘s ballad thing I was going for- you gotta crank it up Higher, HIGHER!

Even The Streets, from Somedays, 2001
I wrote this the summer between my sophomore and junior year of college, and it somehow still connects with people all these years later. I recorded this song and the whole Somedays album in Nashville during spring break of my senior year of college at Illinois. It was in that magical week that I realized I had to move to Nashville.

Everything’s Right, from Twenty Three Places, 2003
At some point during the recording of Twenty Three Places, my buddy Dave Barnes (who was co-producing the album with Ed Cash) through out the idea of me recording a song that he had just written called ‘Everything’s Right’. I couldn’t believe that he would be so benevolent with such a great song. I added some of my own lyrical flair to the verses and VOILA!

Marianne, from Twenty Three Places, 2003
Ed Cash (producer of Twenty Three Places) invited me to play a show with him in Georgia. On the ride back home to Nashville, he pulls out a guitar (don’t worry, I was driving) and starts playing the guitar riff that would become ‘Marianne’. I remember saying ‘THAT SOUNDS LIKE CALIFORNIA!’ and we just started writing. The song was done by the time we got home, and it was added to the album in the 11th hour.

Red Meets Blue, from Twenty Three Places, 2003
I wrote this song somewhere in western Colorado. I was just embarking on my career writing and playing songs for people and was totally afraid of what was ahead. I looked out the window and saw the most beautiful display of God’s creation and in that moment, I knew I was going to be alright.

Falling Off the Face of the Earth, from Twenty Three Places, 2003
This is still one of my most proud songwriting moments. This song summed up my experience with trying to build and maintain relationships while traveling 9 months out of the year. I love the chord changes in the bridge, and how Sting-esque the track turned out.

Wanderin’ Eyes, from Today & Tomorrow EP, 2005
At some point during the recording of ‘Everything in Between’, we realized it was going to take longer than we had anticipated, so we decided to record a little 5 song EP recorded with a more broken-down feel. I was really proud of this song because it ventured into the blue-eyed soul realm, which was new territory for me. Byron House is featured on the upright bass. Look him up. Awesomeness.

Carolina, from Everything in Between, 2006
I didn’t want to put this song on the album because I thought it was too simple. Dave Barnes and Ed Cash (producers or Everything in Between) wouldn’t let up on their opinion to record it, so I reluctantly obliged. We wrestled with what instrument should be playing the musical hooks in the intro and turnarounds after the choruses and literally tried EVERYTHING (including having John Popper from Blues Traveler play harmonica on it!) until finally Ed found the magic ingredient when he picked up a mandolin. Why we didn’t think of putting mandolin on a song called ‘Carolina’ earlier is a mystery me.

5:19, from Everything in Between, 2006
If it weren’t for a providential writing appointment the day after my long distance then-girlfriend had left from a stormy weekend visit, this song would’ve never been written. My buddy Chad Cates could tell something was up and began playing therapist as he asked me how I was feeling, what I would want to tell my girlfriend if I could talk to her, and so on. I had the guitar riff already and started playing it along to what he had written down. The original version was slower and not bouncy- Dave Barnes and Ed Cash saw the diamond in the rough and made it shine!

I Will Not Take My Love Away, from Everything in Between, 2006
I still do’t remember writing this song, only sharing it with someone for the first time. I was really worried that I had ripped off the melody from somewhere and had to check it out with friends to make sure I hadn’t! I wrote it from God’s perspective as a reminder of the perfect love He has for me.

Sing My Lonesome Away, from While We’re Becoming EP, 2010
This song was from the first batch of new songs I had recorded since Everything in Between. My friend Thad Cockrell (of the band Leagues) encouraged me to take some risks creatively that led to working with Joe Pisapia on 5 songs that were a bit out of the box from what I had typically recorded. This is probably the most up-beat and hopeful song from the bunch. (Dave Barnes on drums, and Andy Davis singing background vocals!)

Somebody’s Gonna Love You, from Weights & Wings, 2011
Last songs on albums are often my favorites. This is the last one from the album Weights & Wings. This came from one of the first times Steve Moakler and I had written together. It perfectly nailed what I was feeling at the time- trying to find hope and make sense of things in the wake of a broken relationship. My favorite acoustic guitar players, Bryan Sutton played on this- definitely a highlight!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Archivo del blog

free counters

Datos personales

Mi foto
Malas noticias en los periòdicos, asesinatos, enfermedad, pobreza, dolor, injusticias, discriminaciòn, guerras, lo grave es que nos parece normal.

Ecologia2